Monday, June 8, 2009

Two views of the same piece of the High Line on the street where I work. I heard on the news today that the official opening of the park being made along the High Line is tomorrow. It's hard to believe because so much of it is under construction, but I'll be walking on it as soon as I can since I'm so intrigued by it. Part of what's so interesting is how different the details in the ironwork is from 
section to section. It was built in the 30's to move freight along the harbor and to alleviate some of the street traffic. It never caught on, the Great Depression didn't help, and the whole thing was almost torn down in the 70's. I followed it down the other evening and found the terminus, where the park is, is not the real end of it, there's still a chunk of it cuts through the Westbeth building. Pictures are coming.

4 comments:

  1. You know what I love about New York? The water towers on all the buildings. I have never seen that anywhere else.

    New York is one of my favorite places in the whole world, and you are so lucky to live there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a survey that said Vancouver is the best place to live, so I guess that makes us even!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to see the different ironwork details you mention.

    ReplyDelete