Wednesday, April 1, 2009

There's a Japanese term, Wabi-Sabi, that refers to the beauty of decay, which I appreciate. We'll be seeing some of that this week. These are in Chelsea, the right image is on that pier we've been investigating, and below we have lots of water towers and some plastic caught on barbed wire. That building in the background is amazing, Martha Stewart once had her office here but I don't know if she still does. I worked the reception desk for an art benefit on the top floor maybe 10 years ago, when it was being renovated. Those enormous windows look up and down the river, and that evening a big thunderstorm was followed by a glorious sunset and they both put on quite the show.

4 comments:

  1. The closeup of the piers is really quite remarkable on this image. I am enchanted by the surface quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, this is so interesting. 'The beauty of decay', I am going to hold that thought when I look in the bathroom mirror next. We need to see aging and experience and life with lots of stories to tell as beauty don't we? Great image as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post and lovely images. I somehow prefer the perspective in the 2nd image over the 1st one.

    ReplyDelete