Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Chelsea working pier again; I don't know what those big wheels are for, perhaps it is some kind of bridge. Or maybe whatever is transported on those trolley rails get moved by these wheels somehow. That little dock on the left goes to the red tugboat beside it. This is the same sort of boat that surrounded the plane that landed in the Hudson this winter, this one was probably out there too. 
I had been watching General Hospital which they interrupted with the news. The announcer teared up, assuming the worst, and I turned the TV off. My gym is on Christopher Street and I went there to avoid watching any more of it. I didn't expect to witness a miracle, since it happened way uptown, but by the time I arrived, the current had moved the plane there as well. I stood on the icy pier for half an hour as the rescue armada floated passed, then left when the paparazzi showed up pushing the civilians out of their way. And later at the gym the televisions were on the news and I got to watch it all over again.

4 comments:

  1. My gosh I love seeing pictures of New York. When I was there, I was amazed at how much it reminded me of Vancouver -- the waterfront, etc. I can almost smell the ocean and the tar on the pilings, looking at these pictures. I think the next time I go to New York (hope, hope) I am going to check out more of the out-of-the-way places like this!

    Cheers,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, intersting those big wheels - they look as though they have 'handles' for someone to turn - rather like the wheels on old sailing ships.... and no doubt are still to be seen on rather grander and perhaps newer versions! It's fascinating and I wish I could be there to look around with you! Warm wishes to you, Vxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fascinating. I love wheels - what stories are hidden in the depths here. Gosh you saw the plane? It was a miracle wasnt it? I wonder if it changed your life in any way? You are so lucky living where you do - a wonderful place. I have never been there long enough to explore it in any detail. I feel I am doing that through your blog. Thanks for sharing your city with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, as always, fantastic photos, showing us that the simple and even the ugly can be very beautiful when captured just right in a photo. THAT to me is the hidden talent of a really good photographer, like you!!

    thanks for all the warm and wonderful comments on my posts. It is always so nice to see your name show up in the comments list. And hey, you used to work in the ribbon dept. of a large store!! That would be a dream job for me. And you are the first person I ever "met" who knows how to make ribbon flowers! I love that. Take care and have a good weekend, Debby

    ReplyDelete