Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ah yes, now I know where I am. So much nicer than yesterday's snow scene, which has started to melt and is getting gnarly. Not as bad as January of 1994 when it snowed almost everyday for two weeks and there were multiple layers of ice under filthy heaps of pushed back snow. Or the winter in the late 70's when we had a terrible blizzard during a garbage strike; I was working at Saks that year and can remember walking down Fifth Avenue from the subway and not being able to see across the street because of the snow that had been plowed on top of the week old trash bags lining the sidewalk. But, on the other hand,  I got to wait on John Lennon and Yoko Ono that day; I was tending the boutique in front of the elevators when they got off in those fur-lined parkas looking for sweaters, which is what I had to sell. I would wait on them again a little later at the restaurant I'd moved on to. I have his cigarette butt that I saved after capping his ashtray. Ebay worthy but mine alone, I intend to keep it always. 

1 comment:

  1. You have quite a few memories of encounters with media, art and entertainment "stars". This could be a fabulous illustrated book.

    ReplyDelete